2 Samuel 23:20-22
20 Benaiah son of Jehoiada was a valiant fighter from Kabzeel, who performed great exploits. He struck down two of Moab's best men. He also went down into a pit on a snowy day and killed a lion. 21 And he struck down a huge Egyptian. Although the Egyptian had a spear in his hand, Benaiah went against him with a club. He snatched the spear from the Egyptian's hand and killed him with his own spear. 22
Ummm. That doesn't make sense. How is this relevant? This is just describing some guy in a long list of guys that were good fighters and killed lots of men. Are you going to try to kill 3oo men with their own swords......'caaaaaause I don't think that's a good idea for ya there "Rambo".
No. It's the state of mind I have adopted. Benaiah wasn't attacked by this lion, he wasn't protecting a little girl. He simply had the unstoppable courage to follow this lion into pit, while it was snowing, and killed it. CRAZY.
People with real faith chase lions. Our spiritual enemy roars around us trying to devour us and we run around fretting and worrying and praying for God to help us while this "lion" grows in strength and size. The problem is people tend to look at how big the lion is instead of how big God is or that God will help you, and Mike, and Sara but not me.
People who chase lions don't let their fears stop them from doing what God has called them to do. "Normal" people don't chase lions, they rarely live by faith, they always have excuses as why they cant' follow their dreams. Normal people live with regrets. We don't. Why?Well..WE CHASE.
Let's turn back the clock to spring of 2009 for a while here. Cue the Wayne's World 'doodly doodly doodly doodly' music.
We are living in Owasso-OK, we have good* jobs, we were in the process of having our new property being built and being promoted, we ride scooters all over Tulsa county, we have FINALLY found a great chuch at AWFC after searching for nearly 4 years. Life is good.
We have some friends that are leaving our hometown of Weatherford to plant a church in some town in Texas that we've have never heard of, so we decide to go see them off on their last Sunday in Weatherford.
Well...A funny thing happend on the way to church today. I sat their during the service and was certain I was supposed to go to this town in Texas that I had never heard of. But God, we're getting promoted, everything is going so great right now. Are you sure? Little did I know, that Elizabeth was having the same conversation with God. When we finally talked to each other about what we were feeling, we came to the conclusion that we WOULD go to Texas and be a part of this church, BUUUUUUUUT in a few years after we had made our millions and yada yada yada. We were comfortable with this decision, and it felt right. God agreed.....or so it seemed at the time.
Now fast forward a few months. We've been promoted to out brand new property .We have moved into our new place and IT IS SWEET. 3 bed 3 bath ,a 400sq ft balcony over looking a pond. We have an amazing staff at work, we still love our church. Life is now great. Oh, Here comes the offspeed pitch.
STRIKE 1. We're Pregnant!!! Couple of hours and beers later. This is Awesome. I'm stoked.
STRIKE 2. You know those insurance premiums you've been paying, weeeeell that didn't specifically didn't cover maternity so now were not even going to cover you or the baby. (Don't get me started on insurance companies) Ok, we have our savings account we will just pay for it somehow.
It was at this time that I started thinking maybe we should look at moving to Texas a little sooner, like maybe now. It took some convincing on both of our parts to get us out of our comfort of having jobs and a place to live to commit and say "We're moving to TX" We started looking for and applying to hundreds of jobs using our last vacation days to drive to Dallas and interview for positions. Nothing. By this time it was September and I was restless and had it stuck in my head that we should just quit our jobs and move without any job prospects. I convinced Elizabeth, we put in our notices and she got a job the next day. Oh and they would cover her maternity on insurance plus pay her during her maternity leave. Long story, short...I found a job, Beckett Hawk was born(he is so much fun), we bought a house(with a pool). Life is GREAT again.
But yet, I've grown restless again. I chased my lion and came here to be a part of something important-something life changing, but I'm not pulling my weight and to Solomon's Porch I apologize for that. I've been acting 'normal', I haven't used my gifts and knowledge to it fullest potential, I haven't been chasing lions. I've sat back and watched from the outskirts and done what was needed but not anything more. I haven't been held accountable, not for my actions but my inactions. This will change.
Sometimes in order to chase your lion, you have to sacrifice other things in life as well. This applies to real world situations as well as the spiritual. We have wanted to start our own business for a couple of years now. It keeps getting put off because the money and timing just hasn't been there. Now, we know how to chase--with our whole heart and not look at the size of the lion but rather at the size of our God and we have been able to drastically reduce to amount of time until we are able to fund our startup.
The path to your greatest potential is often straight through your biggest fear.
2 Timothy 1:7
For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.
Great post Jesse. I think you're forgetting the time you put in with the setup crew and when you and Elizabeth led a small group. We're so glad you chased your lion to Texas.
ReplyDeleteI have a copy of In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day, if you'd like to read it.